Pound Cake

Did you know it’s called a pound cake because the original recipe called for one pound each of flour, butter, sugar and eggs? That makes sense, and it’s easy to remember, but what a massive cake that would make!

Try this recipe for a more manageable pound cake, with a hint of hazelnut essence: Million Dollar Pound Cake

For an easy summer dessert, drizzle some peach halves with honey and grill for a few minutes until softened. Toast some Million Dollar Pound Cake and top with vanilla ice cream and grilled peaches.

If you’re interested in historic recipes, check out Hannah Glasses’s pound cake recipe from The Art of Cookery, published in the 1770’s.

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Did You Know?

9 Comments on “Pound Cake”

1. June 23, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Yes the original recipe was a pound of everything but when you have 7 kids it’s never too big! I love your idea of toasting some cake and topping it with cream or/and ice cream…Yummy.

• June 23, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Thanks, Tovah! Do you have seven kids? That must keep you very busy!

• June 23, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Yes and a lot of grandchildren now…but my nest is empty, apart from my hubby, cos my 2 youngest altho not married are 27 & 28. I still bake for my single kids and they love my granola so I make 5 kilo batches at a time. It’s like a production line!!I

• June 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Wow! Maybe you should start your own granola company! What do you put in your granola? Here’s my go to recipe: http://www.charlesprogers.com/blogs/archives/4461

• June 24, 2012 at 5:02 am #

Your favorite seems to be much nuttier and why not use butter? I do? (we don’t use processed oil for anything)
        Here’s my recipe….
        8 cups of oats
        1 cup almonds
        1 cup pecans
        1 cup walnuts
        1 tbls cinnamon ( I use 2 tbls)

In a pan on the stove dissolve and bring to the boil.
        1/2 cup brown sugar
        1 cup date syrup (most economical in Israel)
        or if preferred
        1/4 cup maple syrup
        3/4 cup honey
        1 cup of melted butter or 1 cup veg oil
        11/2 tsp salt
        Take of flame when smooth and creamy add
        1 Tbls pure vanilla essence

Pour over oat mixture and mix well.

Spread mixture over 2 baking pans and toast lightly turning mixture after a few mins and toast for another
        another few minutes.

Then I add dried cherries, raisins, bilberries & dried lychee berries. If you want to add seeds, sunflower, sumsum etc to taste then why not!

My kids eat with fruit juice or milk. I eat as a topping to fresh fruit with yogurt. After all I’m one of those 70’s health freaks!!!

• June 24, 2012 at 9:00 am #

Thanks for sharing, Tovah! I love the idea of adding date syrup and bilberries to granola! I change my recipe up sometimes…fewer nuts, toasted coconut, rolled date pieces, etc. I prefer oil to butter because the granola seems to retain its crunch longer. But I always use cold-pressed organic safflower oil, cause I’m one of those 70’s freaks too. 😉

• June 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

Thanks for the reminder…I didn’t list 1 cup of coconut, comes out stickier. Yum! Yes I agree some organic oils are ok but we’re butter & olive oil addicts!! Also everything is kept in the fridge here so the butter doesn’t go rancid and it all keeps it’s crunch. I’m going to give your recipe a whirl sounds very yummy also…thanks for so many good recipes. I look forward to the next one. Tovah

• June 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

• June 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Same here – I’m going to try your recipe too! One of my favorite things in life is sharing / exchanging recipe ideas with friends from around the world!